sábado, febrero 07, 2009

Mathematics, Sex and the Brain

A few minutes ago I was watching this video,

where an abstract of Perelman's proof of Poincare's Conjecture is rapped to the tune of Snoop Dogg and Pharrell William's "Drop it Like it's Hot". One of the "related videos" was a video called "Best Sex Ever"; I needn't tell you that the relation between these two videos seemed to me rather obscure, to say the least.

Then I remembered that old quip that says that mathematicians are people whose brain's abstract reasoning centre is very close to their brain's sexual pleasure area. Perhaps youtube, data-mining the video-watching habits of millions of people, has inadvertently re-discovered the joke.

I wonder if the relation between abstract reasoning and sex will ever work in the other direction and people searching for adult videos will be recommended the lecture notes of a grad course on hardcore algebraic geometry (imagine the impact that would have on the subject!!!).
Trying to trace the joke on maths and sex I came across this other quote that I had never seen before, and thought you might enjoy it:

Mathematicians are like lovers. Grant a mathematician the least principle, and he will draw from it a consequence which you must also grant him, and from this consequence another...
Bernard Le Bouyer de Fontelle

No hay comentarios.: